Wayfinding system is meant to inform people of their surroundings. The information is shown in such a way that people follow the directions right and reach their destination. An effective wayfinding system is the one that is based on the following characteristics:
- It does not make people think, it makes them act
- It is a clear and comprehensive visual communication system
- It shows only the information that is needed
- The information is relevant to location, space, and the navigation path
- There is no excessive information
It is hence always recommended to hire a professional like Made by Landmark for getting your wayfinding signage designed.
Why is wayfinding important?
Wayfinding is used in complex environments like educational campuses, health and transportation facilities and urban centers. Since people need visual cues like directions, symbols, and maps, wayfinding helps them reach their destination. Symbols and text are used to illustrate and explain a path. These symbols are basically simplified messages used in the form of powerful images. If text used is, it is clear and concise.
Like mentioned earlier, wayfinding is important to help people make their way thought the building by improving the accessibility and ensuring their safety. It also keeps people sane by reducing frustrations, late arrivals and anxiety in case they don’t know where they should be headed. If the directions are clear, then you will navigate your way to your destination without any frustration. The only way it can work is if a well-thought wayfinding strategy is followed in the first place.
Types of wayfinding signage
Here are some common types of wayfinding signage you will come across:
- Identification signs
Such signs don’t provide directions they just point a specific structure or a landmark. They serve as ‘you are here’ or in other words let the user know that he has reached his destination.
- Directional signs
As the name suggests, these signs make you keep moving till you reach your destination. They appear at junctions most of the time as they provide the user with directions.
- Informational signs
Informational signs don’t guide the user towards a destination rather, they supplement the trip by providing useful information. The highway sign to alert a driver that he is about to enter a construction zone is a good example of an informational sign. Such signs help a person change his plans according to the information received.
- Regulatory signs
These signs are meant to inform the user about certain regulations or requirements in place. The ‘no parking’ sign is a good example.
How is the wayfinding system useful?
The wayfinding system is useful in multiple ways. Such as:
- It helps in creating a sense of the place for a new visitor.
- It allows the visitor to experience a place organically.
- It also builds brand equity as the wayfinding system needs to be designed in a strategic way. If the signage is clear and easy to follow, it will give a good impression of your business.
- It saves time and reduces frustration. People are able to reach their destination without asking for help.
If the right design principles are followed, the wayfinding system can prove to be helpful in navigating places.